• 'The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.' -Ayn Rand

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

*Thanksgiving: A Short History*

From Holidaycook.com

In the United States, Thanksgiving began with the Pilgrims who settled around Plymouth in 1621. During the winters of 1621 and 1622 they suffered many privations. Food and supplies were scarce and disease ran rampant in the region.

Nearly half the population died. The settlers at the time and historians both agree that there were two reasons for the problems of the Pilgrims. First, they were generally not experienced farmers. They were fortunate that some of the local Native-Americans helped them learn to farm the local crops. Second, and perhaps more tellingly, they had originally been organized into a commune where the produce of all was brought into a common store and then distributed among the inhabitants based on need.

The Governor at the time, William Bradford, was quick to recognize the problem. This excerpt from his diary, written in the 1620s, explains all:

The failure of this experiment of communal service, which was tried...by good and honest men proves the emptiness of the theory of Plato and other ancients, applauded by some of later times, - that the taking away of private property, and possession of it in community, by a commonwealth would make a state happy and flourishing...For in this instance, community of property (so far as it went) was found to breed much confusion and discontent, and retard much employment which would have been to the general benefit and comfort.

So every family was assigned a parcel of land according to the proportion of their number...It made all hands very industrious, so that much more corn was planted than otherwise would have been...and gave far better satisfaction.

Thankful for the re-institution of private property and the plenty which it provided, the Pilgrims invited their benefactors in 1623 to a three-day celebration. More than 80 "Indians" came to enjoy the festivities. They brought venison, wild turkey and other victuals. There was much singing, rejoicing and even sermons.

Thanksgiving itself is reminiscent of other harvest-time celebrations in Europe. It's character there as well as in America is deeply religious. The idea is that we thank God for the plenty of the harvest. Of course, over the years the holiday has been secularized somewhat. It is even commonly called "Turkey Day".

The first Thanksgiving in Plymouth was not meant to be an annual event. Even so, it became a custom in many New England Colonies. During the Revolutionary war Thanksgiving Days were proclaimed to celebrate victory in battle or survival in the face of adversity. After the war and the founding of the government under the U.S. Constitution, George Washington, as President, proclaimed a day of thanks.

Proclaiming a day of thanks became popular. There was no official national day, but individual states, cities and towns began to pick out a particular day every year, usually in the autumn. The state of New York was the first to do this in 1830. By the time of the Civil War thanksgiving had become a popular public event. In 1863 and 1864 President Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday in November as a "day of thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father."

It was at this point that the last Thursday in November became fixed in the minds of Americans as a day for giving thanks, at least until 1939 when President Roosevelt moved it up a week to make a longer Christmas season for the retail industry. Some people did not like the break with tradition and various localities refused to comply. Finally, Congress intervened and changed the holiday permanently to the "4th Thursday in November". It has been celebrated on this day ever since.

posted by David at 5:40 AM :: Permalink ::

Comments on "*Thanksgiving: A Short History*"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (16 February, 2007 19:16) : 

This is very interesting site... antidepressant treatment for general anxiety Vw tranmission parts Hosting windows forms free hardcore latina movie how to dress in europe boating party Waterbeds adamo dr. Real ringtones for razr multiple vitamin liquid $0.00 internet advertising solution Bmw z3 removable hardtop antidepressants and irregular menstrual cycle Surveillance satellites cameras geocites leather pants Coverage+home+insurance+owner Armour hockey under Cheap telephone calls to pakistan 401k gulf county

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (06 March, 2007 19:03) : 

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Halo projector light anti spyware toolbar block pop up ad vardenafil

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (08 April, 2013 00:57) : 

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it
or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little
bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog. A fantastic read.
I will definitely be back.

Here is my site :: free youtube commenter tool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (26 April, 2013 08:52) : 

I am really impressed together with your writing skills as neatly as
with the layout for your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it your self?
Anyway keep up the nice high quality writing,
it's rare to peer a nice weblog like this one these days..

My website; aimbot.net

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (26 April, 2013 14:10) : 

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I've read this put up and if I
may just I desire to recommend you some attention-grabbing things or suggestions.

Maybe you could write subsequent articles relating to this article.

I want to learn more things about it!

Look into my web blog virtapay to lr

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (28 April, 2013 04:15) : 

Having read this I thought it was rather informative.
I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this informative article together.
I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and leaving comments.
But so what, it was still worth it!

Here is my site ... how to make money with ptc Sites

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (29 April, 2013 02:03) : 

Your mode of explaining everything in this paragraph is genuinely nice, every one
can simply understand it, Thanks a lot.

Feel free to visit my blog post :: Earn money simply For your opinions

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (06 May, 2013 09:19) : 

Ahaa, its nice dialogue regarding this post at this place at
this website, I have read all that, so now me also commenting at this place.



Visit my web page: password hack

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (07 May, 2013 13:41) : 

I truly appreciate this post. I've been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You've made my
day! Thx again!

Feel free to surf to my site :: twitter account

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10 May, 2013 00:36) : 

Fastidious answer back in return of this matter with solid arguments and
describing everything concerning that.

My homepage hacking software

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (13 May, 2013 10:32) : 

What's up colleagues, good piece of writing and nice arguments commented at this place, I am truly enjoying by these.

Look into my blog: Hack Twitter

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (01 June, 2013 05:36) : 

I really love your site.. Very nice colors & theme. Did you build this site
yourself? Please reply back as I'm hoping to create my own blog and would love to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Many thanks!

Feel free to visit my webpage; Sac A Main Louis Vuitton

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09 June, 2013 19:56) : 

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff
previous to and you are just extremely wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in
which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise.
I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a terrific site.


my website ... Michael Kors

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12 June, 2013 00:09) : 

Hello to all, as I am in fact eager of reading this webpage's post to be updated on a regular basis. It contains nice information.

My webpage; Louis Vuitton Outlet :: ::

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12 June, 2013 19:17) : 

This program is intended to recover lost passwords for
RAR/WinRAR archives of versions 2.xx and 3.xx. http://www.
winrarpasswordcracker.com The free professional solution
for recovering lost passwords to RAR and WinRAR archives.


I just like the valuable info you provide on your articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and test again right here regularly.
I am reasonably sure I will be told many new stuff proper here!
Good luck for the following!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12 June, 2013 23:17) : 

I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's both educative and
engaging, and let me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is an issue that not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy I stumbled across this in my hunt for something relating to this.

Feel free to visit my blog post - Boutique Air Jordan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (13 June, 2013 21:50) : 

hey there and thank you for your info – I've certainly picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this web site, since I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect
your placement in google and can damage your quality score if
advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding
this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective interesting content.
Ensure that you update this again soon.

My blog post; Cheap NFL Jerseys

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (14 June, 2013 06:42) : 

Currently it seems like Movable Type is the top blogging platform available right now.
(from what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

Here is my web-site Air Max Pas Cher

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (15 June, 2013 01:16) : 

Do you have a spam problem on this site; I also am a blogger,
and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have developed some nice procedures and we are looking
to exchange techniques with other folks, please shoot me an
e-mail if interested.

Also visit my page: Cheap NFL Jerseys

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (16 June, 2013 02:59) : 

I quite like reading a post that can make people think.
Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Feel free to visit my weblog link

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (18 June, 2013 17:43) : 

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like
you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do
with some pics to drive the message home
a bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog. An excellent read.
I'll definitely be back.

Also visit my web blog ... Nike Air Max

 

post a comment