Thursday, May 25, 2006

Child Left At Day Care

The News Reporter

The state’s Division of Child Development and the county’s Department of Social Services are investigating an incident Wednesday at a Whiteville day care where an 8-month-old child was left in the building as workers closed the business and went home.

Andrea Lewis, program manager for the state’s Child Abuse and Neglect Unit, said a representative of their office would visit Kid Kare Academy north of Whiteville to interview workers about the Wednesday incident.

Alice Standifer of Lake Waccamaw said she arrived at the day care shortly after 6 p.m. to get her son Hayden and the building was locked and there was no sign of any employee.
“I was worried that someone else had taken him, and I checked with my husband, but he didn’t get him,” the mother said.

Sheriff’s deputies were sent to the scene and a worker arrived about 6:30 p.m. and opened the day care and the child was found sleeping in a crib unharmed in the building, according to a deputy’s report.

“I thought I heard him crying inside, but I guess I heard some other children nearby. I was really upset,” Standifer stated.

Standifer said she is quitting her job to take care of her children. “I can’t trust anyone else with my children, and I’m having to quit a job I really love and I’ve had for four and a half years,” she stated.

The state’s Division of Child Development, charged with licensing day care facilities across the state, was notified Thursday. Program Manager Lewis said the investigation would be a joint effort with the county’s DSS.

A representative of Kid Kare Academy said they had no comment at this time.

If this happened to my kid the wife would have just about killed someone. This isn't good.


posted by David at 4:54 PM :: Permalink ::